Saturday, July 29, 2017

A misunderstanding about contracts in an agile context


The Agile Manifesto contains the following words...

Customer collaboration over contract negotiation

I recently experienced a person suggesting that as agilists, we can sign contracts and then just do what feel is right and that every decision after signing should still be a negotiation. 

There are ways to make flexible contracts. I have seen contracts designed to specifically require collaboration. I have seen contracts that get regularly re-negotiation based on changing needs. 

My preference is to work with a minimal contract (or with pure collaboration if that is possible).

There is always the option to not sign a contract you cannot live with.

Signing a contract with the intent of ignoring it is not collaboration. I would argue that it is very disrespectful to the other party involved. 

I have a different word for someone who signs a contract with the explicit intent of ignoring the terms... and it isn't Agilist. 


......
Reference: Agile Manifesto - http://www.agilemanifesto.org